If you share my love for chocolate covered strawberries, give these donuts a try! Moist chocolate donuts topped with a burst of strawberry flavor, these have easily become my new favorite Valentine's Day tradition. This recipe is easy enough to include your whole family in the process & they'll come out looking gorgeous every time.
Strawberry Glazed Chocolate Donuts
Makes about 12
For the Donuts:
3/4 Cup Flour
1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Butter (bring to room temp)
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 Cup Buttermilk (If you can't get buttermilk, combine 2/3 cup of milk with 1 tsp of vinegar)
For the Glaze:
1/2 Cup Freeze Dried Strawberries pureed in a food processor or blender
2 Cups Powdered Sugar (Confectioners Sugar)
1 tsp Vanilla
1/3 Cup Milk
Preheat oven to 350º F
1. Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl (flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt), set aside
2. Cream the butter and sugars together until creamy (about 3 minutes) using a mixer.
3. Add the vanilla and buttermilk to the sugar mixture until combined
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture until JUST combined. DO NOT OVER-MIX, this will result in a chewy donut we do not want. Keeping in mind the batter will be thick
5. Pour the batter into a large plastic bag & tie off the end (use a hair tie or rubber band). Cut a 1/2 inch hole in the corner, you will use this to pipe the batter into the donut pan filling about 1/2 of the pan.
6. Bake for 8 to 10 minute. Toothpick test for doneness & place on a cooling rack
Now while the donuts are cooling for 10-15 minutes, time to make the Strawberry Glaze! Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl large enough to dip the donuts in.
Once cool to the touch, one by one dip the prettiest side of the donut into the glaze, while turning in a back and forth motion. Allow excess to drip off. Once all the donuts are iced add your favorite sprinkles!
Mini chocolate chips would also be great to use if you don't have sprinkles on hand, even some coconut flakes!
Enjoy this recipe and be sure to share your cooking adventures with me! Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out!