Calling all breakfast people! Sunday Brunch in our house is a must. Whether we're going out or staying in, nothing compares to spending time over a satisfying breakfast. This recipe is sure to satisfy your sweet side. The bread's caramelized crusts and gooey center makes this dish unforgettable. I love a dish you can personalize & make your own by adding your favorite toppings. Mine are Strawberries & blueberries! & can't forget a few pieces of crispy bacon on the side. Happy cooking!
Caramelized French Toast
Makes 6 Servings
You will need: Whisk, Spatula, Skillet, Baking Pan, Parchment Paper
1 French Baguette
1 1/2 Cups Milk (I used whole)
¾ Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 ½ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
¾ Cup Brown Sugar
¾ Cup Warmed Heavy Cream
1. Slice French Bread (I used 2 day old bread just because it was in the house but fresh is fine too).
Pro Tip: By cutting on an angle you are able to make larger slices
2. Whisk Eggs, Milk, ¾ Cup Brown Sugar, Vanilla, Cinnamon & Nutmeg together in baking dish (or other large bowl easy to fit multiple bread slices)
3. Heat Non-stick Skillet to Medium (if you don’t have a non-stick skillet just make sure to coat pan in cooking spray)
4. Soak bread in liquid for 30 seconds on each side.
5. Place Bread in Skillet 2-3 minutes per side or until toasted golden brown. Remove Bread from skillet to parchment lined baking sheet.
Now time for the yummy Caramel Sauce:
1. Melt Butter in skillet then add ¾ Cup brown sugar. Whisk until melted and bubbling.
2. In a mug heat the Heavy Cream in the microwave for 20 seconds. (I forgot to do this and when I added the cold heavy cream to the caramelizing sugar it immediately solidified..eeek!)
3. Add the warmed heavy cream to the skillet & whisk constantly. Once Caramel is bubbling add the bread for 1-2 minutes on each side or until caramelized. Remove from pan
Serve with your choice of berries or other fruits (Bananas are YUM). Whatever you have in the house – powdered sugar, pecans, ice cream etc. Throw it on top and it’s sure to be a hit. I’d love to see how you guys make it so leave comments and tag @tayby.co in all your experiments!
ENJOY..I know my friends and I did!